Proximity loot

Discussion in 'H1Z1 Bugs and Technical Support' started by DAS1337, Jan 28, 2015.

1. DAS1337

DAS1337 Member

I've found that if a zombie/player drops a loot bag, you can't pick it up through proximity until you destroy the body of said zombie/player. In most cases, the game will not allow you to target the bag that drops. Has anyone else had this problem.

I want to pose a question to you guys, and hopefully someone with some inside info can help me out here.

Why are zombies and players dropping loot bags to begin with? Here's are my thoughts.

Containers are great. Finding items in the game world is great. You can highlight them and interact with them. I have no problem with that form of looting. However, players, zombies and wildlife take a different approach. Player and zombie corpses, oddly, are not interactable like other containers. I question this design choice. I question the need to use loot bags at all. We've already seen issues with loot bags and proximity loot not working correctly. To me, it seems like a better design choice to make corpses lootable. Make them containers themselves. Where you can hover your mouse over them, highlight them, and interact with it, no different than a dresser. Then you can browse the contents, if any, and go about your way. To me, it just makes more sense, and creates cohesion with the other containers in the world. Also, I have questions about looting wildlife. Looting wildlife adds a third, and unnecessary way to loot items. I need to kill the animal, then whack it 5 times to loot it. Why? Why not, provided I have a bladed instrument in my inventory, can't I highlight the deer corpse for example, interact, and the game auto-crouches me into a skinning animation and the inventory pops up just like it would a dresser?

I know these things are probably not high on the list of things to do, but I'm a guy who likes things to make sense. Zombies dropping loot bags doesn't make sense in the slightest. It's almost as bad as a bear dropping a gun. I think a re-design of the things I mentioned would be a welcome addition and add some consistency in H1Z1.

This, by itself, would eliminate my issue with proximity loot. Proximity loot doesn't work in other situations as well, but we wouldn't have to deal with this specific issue any more at all.

2. DAS1337

DAS1337 Member

I'm actually quite surprised that this post hasn't gotten a single response in the last 12 hours. Huh..

Bump?

3. bruno51615

bruno51615 Member

If you prone near the bag you will be able to get it ;)

4. DAS1337

DAS1337 Member

So it's a bug then, for sure?

There have been times that I've been able to loot the back without hacking up the corpse, but standing or crouching in proximity won't let me loot anything in a container, if the container even shows up.

Again though, why bother with bags? Just make the body interactable.

5. tricky

tricky New Member

yea, sometimes you have to walk around the zombie and find that special angle around the body to loot it.

6. TeX

TeX Administrator
    Staff Member

I like that corpses are lootable. It makes it seem like the zombies were once survivors who died with loot on them. I'll find out of its bugged...

7. Spookykid

Spookykid New Member

Remember this is early alpha, they may decide to change to lootable corpses later on instead of bags on the ground, this would be nice.

8. DAS1337

DAS1337 Member

Oh, I have no problem with lootable zombies. I just think zombies dropping loot pouches is a little weird. Where are the cop zombies in bulletproof vests? Hard to kill, likely rewarding the player with a pistol, knife and potentially some ammo.

9. Villain

Villain Member

I completely agree to make corpses lootable. It would bring a more textured feel to the game after killing someone.

10. Mortesh

Mortesh Member

The loot bags being unreachable before destroying the corpse is a hit box issue. going prone and crawling inside the loot bag is a quick fix. loot bags are likely dropped because attacking corpses causes them to de-spawn. what happens if you get in a gun fight 1v5, win and accidentally unload to much ammo, destroying every corpse before you can loot it?