H1Z1 Forum » H1Z1 Forums » H1Z1 General Discussion » A Few Word on Anti-Cheating Measures

Old 03-10-2015, 05:47 PM
Survivor

ZCoins: 400
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default A Few Word on Anti-Cheating Measures

We've been pretty tight lipped about some of our systems, and the anti-cheating system we have is one of them. I've had "a couple" of requests for more information, so I'm going to open up a little to explain a few things here.

First of all, there are people out there who continue to say we don't have a system or it isn't turned on. This is not true. We've had a system in place since day one, and it's been slowly being turned up each day (yes, each and every day - sometimes several times in a day). Some of these changes come through in patches of the game, and some of these are just settings we can adjust on the server side that are essentially invisible to the players. We intentionally do not call out these changes.

Our game code has protections in place. The developers of the cheats know this, and they work to get around them. This is part of the constant battle that all online game developers face, and we've had experience already on Planetside with how they do their work. One benefit to fighting the cheaters is that we learn more places we can improve either the security or the stability of our game. It does distract us a bit from other work, but the anti-cheating systems work is very rewarding.

Secondly, the automated systems have been on for a while. We monitor many things (and we won't give details here) and the systems already take automatic actions. Those people using cheats experience a different kind of game than the rest of us. I spend a good part of my time reviewing logs to make sure the actions are not penalizing innocent players, although at times they have. I do apologize for this, but it will happen.

Finally, a word on why you won't get details about these systems from us. Cheaters and cheat developers read all forums, including reddit, fan sites, and our official forums. They send us messages pleading to get unbanned because "they weren't cheating and haven't used any cheats" or "I was only cheating a little bit." Have we unbanned a cheater because they made up a believable story? Probably. We're gamers, and we really want people to play the games we make. We also remember who was banned, and you're not going to get that second chance lightly.

[ Note - this is a cross post from the same subject I posted on Reddit ]

Old 03-10-2015, 05:56 PM
Nomad

ZCoins: 488
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Gamer IDs:
Gamertag: oKevy Steam ID: oKevy

Thanks for the update. People dont know how hard it is getting rid of hackers and cheaters
Old 03-10-2015, 06:12 PM
Civilian

ZCoins: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

i hope get clear game thats it
Old 03-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Survivor

ZCoins: 869
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Thanks for the update

Old 03-11-2015, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

ZCoins: 94,351
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

Great to hear this kind of stuff from devs, thanks for taking the time.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:42 AM
Ranger

ZCoins: 1,178
Gamer IDs:
Steam ID: FightingPhantom

Great update!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:37 PM
Scavenger

ZCoins: 535

This is what I've been saying all along. A simple posy like this during chaotic times or an update here and there does SO much to relieve people's fear and anxiety or frustration etc. Thank you for this post I know I feel better after reading it. I do hope you continue to keep us up to date with future subjects as well as they come across the forums <3
Old 03-11-2015, 07:07 PM
Hunter

ZCoins: 1,054
Gamer IDs:
PSN ID: NastyNative101 Steam ID: NastyNative101

The bottom line is that your anti cheat is not working and now that you are seeing the massive effects of this issue you are addressing it. Which is more then what other game devs are doing. I can understand you not giving information about your anti cheat system that let's people hack at this moment and are collecting data to control/stop it. This is what alpha is all about, what I don't want this to turn into is an excuse for everything that goes wrong in the game. If we are 7 months down the line and your anti cheat is still collecting data and not banning these cheaters then what progress are you really making. Progress is important in this game because I can't see my self taking this game seriously and devoting my precious time into it at this time. So while you collect data I will be playing something else until the game has an active anti cheat.
The fact that you are forgiving cheaters because you want people to play the game is total bs. Those people deserve to be IP and hardware banned and it doesn't matter if they only cheated a little bit and you should let that be known and not forgive the people killing the community. I always have strong feeling towards hackers and I really hope this game takes it as serious as the devoted community take your game.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:29 PM
Experienced Ranger

ZCoins: 533
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
We've been pretty tight lipped about some of our systems, and the anti-cheating system we have is one of them. I've had "a couple" of requests for more information, so I'm going to open up a little to explain a few things here.

First of all, there are people out there who continue to say we don't have a system or it isn't turned on. This is not true. We've had a system in place since day one, and it's been slowly being turned up each day (yes, each and every day - sometimes several times in a day). Some of these changes come through in patches of the game, and some of these are just settings we can adjust on the server side that are essentially invisible to the players. We intentionally do not call out these changes.

Our game code has protections in place. The developers of the cheats know this, and they work to get around them. This is part of the constant battle that all online game developers face, and we've had experience already on Planetside with how they do their work. One benefit to fighting the cheaters is that we learn more places we can improve either the security or the stability of our game. It does distract us a bit from other work, but the anti-cheating systems work is very rewarding.

Secondly, the automated systems have been on for a while. We monitor many things (and we won't give details here) and the systems already take automatic actions. Those people using cheats experience a different kind of game than the rest of us. I spend a good part of my time reviewing logs to make sure the actions are not penalizing innocent players, although at times they have. I do apologize for this, but it will happen.

Finally, a word on why you won't get details about these systems from us. Cheaters and cheat developers read all forums, including reddit, fan sites, and our official forums. They send us messages pleading to get unbanned because "they weren't cheating and haven't used any cheats" or "I was only cheating a little bit." Have we unbanned a cheater because they made up a believable story? Probably. We're gamers, and we really want people to play the games we make. We also remember who was banned, and you're not going to get that second chance lightly.

[ Note - this is a cross post from the same subject I posted on Reddit ]
I am sure you are aware the irony of the cheater syndrome, in order to get around your bans, they are cheating again, wasting money, getting banned again and then cheating the system again.

Obviously i am not going to discuss hacking / cheating, but i find it ironic that once they do get banned, they then have to cheat the system yet again, just to get banned again!

That is a lot of wasted effort and money...

You would think they would know better...

It is not the most complicated game (I am not saying that to insult your game..)

But if you really need to cheat...bit lame and very expensive haha!

I just want to play the game..nuff said!

Last edited by lskyus; 03-12-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:33 PM
Survivor

ZCoins: 765

After what happened to me the day before this was posted I was ready to give up on this game. Which pissed me off cause I was having A TON OF FUN. Even getting my ass shot and loosen my stuff, the people with the shoot first mentality, getting killed as a 3 second spawn, flipping your jeep full of matts and watching it explode. All this stuff and more is some what depressing and frustrating but lets face it, in the reality of it, those A**HOLES and situations will exist so I accept that as part of the simulation. But hackers aren't and I do agree with you need to be strict. Sure track a couple of them like the one I mentioned in another post but you need to show these people that it's not worth it to hack this game. IP ban, hardware ban, and no second chance. make it so it's such a hassle to get back. Right now you are charging 20 buck's for hackers to develop hacks for your game. And yes you are turning up the "Volume knob" but so are they ... that's what developing means right. As of a couple of days ago I had given up on the game after being harassed by a hacker but after reading this post and the new patch I am gonna stick with it I really like this game. Please do not stop turning up the knob feel free to go to "11" .
Bones
Old 03-15-2015, 11:01 AM
Ranger

ZCoins: 1,178
Gamer IDs:
Steam ID: FightingPhantom

Daybreak better be careful how much you turn up the knob, since you just banned a legit player "For Cheating"

I don't know what constitutes as cheating in this game (Glitching/Exploits?) But I have never used exploits maliciously, nor have I ever hacked in this game.

I've seen other reports of "innocent bans", so it's not an isolated issue... but I can only speak for myself and say that I was honestly... wrongfully banned.

I have tried to be a good member here and on reddit, contributing to the forums and loving the game...until today when I found out I was out my $20.

I hate cheaters as much as everyone, and have been screaming with everyone else to get this game under control.... but not when doing so completely screws over the honest customer.

I truly hope your customer service will resolve this, but please be aware that YOU HAVE AN ISSUE RIGHT NOW, with legit players wrongfully being banned.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

ZCoins: 589
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Lets sum these posts up:
Thanks for the update. I'm glad you took the time to write about this to us.

On a serious note, I respect what you are trying to do, but people are paying hard earned money for this game and get wrongfully banned.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:51 PM
Survivor

ZCoins: 521
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Gamer IDs:
Gamertag: Shalisto Steam ID: Shalisto

fix anti-cheat first rather than working on other stuff, all said

Intel-I7 4790k, MSI GTX 980, 32GB Corsair DDR3, Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard
Old 03-24-2015, 09:02 PM
Survivor

ZCoins: 627
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

I have a question.
I was wondering if the cheater ban announcement that pops up on the screen is shown server wide or if it's shown globally across all servers? The reason I ask is because I've been seeing it appear a lot today. People being banned left and right. It's hard to believe that there's this many people cheating on just 1 server. So, I'm going to assume the ban announcements are announced globally until told otherwise.

P.S. To cheating scrubs ... STAY BANNED BITCHES! U MAD?

Last edited by HandsUpDontShoot; 03-24-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:19 PM
Scavenger

ZCoins: 439

I'm pretty show its across all servers including BR. I seen a post by a guy on reddit saying that when he reported the hacker in 5 min a GM ported to him in game and told him the guy got banned.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:17 AM
Refugee

ZCoins: 55
Gamer IDs:
Steam ID: DestrohGFX

Knew it. XD
Old 03-26-2015, 10:42 AM
Hunter

ZCoins: 3,340

1-Keep the game Pay to play

2-Give the anticheat group incentive on effectiveness of their work

$$$ for you guys,happiness for us
Old 03-30-2015, 07:17 PM
Civilian

ZCoins: 44

Appreciate the constant updates.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:50 PM
Scavenger

ZCoins: 766
Gamer IDs:
Steam ID: B4m8am

Anti Cheat system is impossible... what needs to happen is people need to be able to host their own servers and have Admin privileges... the ability to ban people from their server... be able to monitor people on their servers... etc....

3 times this week my base has been hacked and its old... I look forward to the end product but I'm about done until greater measures are taken...

I'm sure there are people that would be Mods on Servers if having active admin on server at all times is to hard... hell I'd be more then happy to help keep this game from turning to shit...
Old 04-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Refugee

ZCoins: 88

I'm not so sure that people are using "hacks" as much as they are exploiting the defective gates, holes, floors that aren't solid to their advantage. They are as bad as a zombie or bear walking through solid wall and floor of a house to kill you. These people such as K2Johns on darkwood don't feel they are doing anything wrong when they clip through a door or floor to loot a base. I had a lengthy but unproductive discussion with mr k2 but he doesn't understand english well to know that an exploit is just as bad as cheating. If the doors would close properly, or were solid as well as solid floors the people who don't want to work for their loot would have a harder time getting in or killing someone in thier own and I use the term loosely "secure" fort. I was in my shelter, on a storage box which was located on a deck foundation and he still clipped through the floor with his gun and shot me.